[gallery type="rectangular" ids="1449"] I wanted Chico to have his very own cake to enjoy at his first birthday party but I didn't want him to have tons of processed sugar or ingredients I wouldn't normally give him. I highly recommend practicing and baking a cake before your child's actual party because you never know what could happen - so don't stress yourself out the day of your baby's party!
I made one cake the week prior and thought I would make it in a large coffee tin because that's the size I was going for. Well it was so deep it took forever to bake and never really cooked all the way through in the middle so it completely sank. I also didn't like the original "frosting" recipe I had used (it didn't taste great and it didn't really look like frosting) so this was yet another reason I was thankful it was just a practice run!
So after trying a few different recipes this is what I ended up doing because it worked for me. I bought a small tarte pan and made two cakes and just stacked them. All you have to do is shave a little off the top of the bottom cake, slather some "frosting" as the glue and then frost the entire cake to hide the fact that it's a 2 in 1 deal.
- 4 or 5 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup natural no sugar added applesauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Coat your 2 tart pans with coconut oil.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of the pans.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick.
- Cool the cakes before frosting.
- 1 cup of Greek Yogurt (I did 1/2 plan and 1/2 vanilla)
- a splash of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Whisk together
- Refrigerate at least 30 min (I waited overnight and it was nice and thick)
- Frost away!
[gallery type="rectangular" ids="1446,1449,1448,1420,1419,1417,1418"]